Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Back in the saddle

Finally, I've been able to get in a few rides on my trusty SURLY Long Haul Trucker, the bike I took to South East Asia, and will be taking on my cross-country ride starting next summer. I retrieved it from storage, and first rode it through the streets of Oakland and San Francisco, visiting family and friends along the way. I then loaded it into my car and brought it to Pt. Reyes National Seashore, where I worked for 2 weeks, and rode through the hills of Marin County during my time off. This week, I'm in Big Sur, and have been fortunate enough to ride yesterday and today along Highway 1, taking in beautiful, sunny views of the coastline and navigating tight turns through moderate traffic. It is not nearly as scary as I would have thought, and nowhere near the heart-pounding fear of biking on the bumpy, crowded highways of Vietnam. In fact, it was downright wonderful. I think I rode down the longest hill I've ever descended without braking today. The turns were smooth and visibility was good, so I had no need of brakes for 3-4 miles of beautiful Redwood forest passing by Big Sur Station and Pfieffer Big Sur State Park.
In other news, I will be spending 43 days in Germany this fall/winter with the wonderful woman I met at Burning Man, Jordana. Every moment I've spent with her thus far has been rejuvenating, relaxing, caring and fascinating. She's an accomplished artist, check out her website: http://jordanamaisie.com/ As of this moment, I have no definite plans for what I will be doing with most of my time in Berlin, but ideas are flowing, and plans are in the works! Also, coincidentally, I met a lovely German couple on the beach here in Big Sur yesterday when I rode out to check on the groups of kids here this week. One of them gave me her card, says she comes to Berlin quite often, and would like to meet up when we're both in Germany this fall! The world continues to help me out on many fronts, and I am enjoying life greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment